VOLUNTEER THIS WEEKEND. Sandy ravaged most of the East Coast earlier this week, leaving millions of people without power, water and shelter. Here are 12 ways you can help out this weekend.
1. Give blood, donate and deliver food as part of the American Red Cross one-day volunteer opportunity.
2. Volunteer and donate to Salvation Army, currently on the grounds in New Jersey to help relief efforts.
3. Volunteer and donate to Food Bank for New York to cook and deliver food to New Yorkers in need through Tuesday.
4. Drink and donate to The Set NYC, who is partnering with Hope for New York and La Zarza on Saturday with sets by Section 1 and DJ Ian Hamilton to collect money and a portion of drink sales for those affected by the hurricane in the tri-state area.
5. Call the The Humane Society of the United States' 24-hour hotline (347-573-1561) to report lost pets or pets left behind during the hurricane.
6. Volunteer and donate to St. Jacobi Lutheran Church to help make and serve food to those affected by the hurricane on Staten Island.
7. Call the Additional Opportunities for People in New Jersey hotline to hear about other ways you can volunteer in New Jersey (1-800-Jersey-7).
8. Register with NY Service to receive updated notifications for volunteer opportunities throughout the city. Twitter: @NYCService
10. Volunteer with Red Hook Initiative, which is leading a clean-up on Van Brunt Street from 10 a.m. to sundown on Saturday and Sunday. Twitter: @rhookinitiativ
11. Give blood to help make up the 10,000 pints lost from canceled blood drives this week. Head to Williamsburg Church, 231 Ainslie Street, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Saturday.
12. Contact Council Speaker Christine Quinn’s office to volunteer to check on residents stranded in Manhattan and distribute food to those in need. Contact Melanie LaRocca at melanie[dot]larocca[at]gmail[dot]com.
Look out for more volunteer opportunities on Twitter trending under #sandyvolunteer and #sandyaid.